An extraction technician is a skilled tradesperson who works with chemicals and equipment to remove liquid or gas from underground sources. They may work in oil and gas production, coal mine extraction, or other industries for extraction of liquid or gas from underground reservoirs.
What does an extraction technician do?
- Extraction technicians work for companies that are a part of the oil or gas extraction process.
- They usually receive training specific to their role before starting work.
- They are knowledgeable about the various types of extraction processes that are available.
- They are using a range of tools and equipment, including drilling machines, picks, and shovels, as well as flaming torches.
- They may also need to wear protective clothing to avoid getting burnt.
Different types of extractions
Depending on the type of extraction process that is a part of an extraction technician may use different tools and equipment, for example,
- For extracting oil from rock formations, they use drilling machines.
- For removing the rock fragments, they may use a drill bit and a set of tongs.
- To extract gas from underground storage tanks, they use fracking.
- They might need to use specialized equipment such as a wellbore camera or periscope to see how deep the gas is.
Skills for extraction technician
The following are skills that an extraction technician should have or learn:
- Extraction technicians must have a thorough understanding of the extraction process, both from a physical and chemical perspective. They can identify different types of solvents and determine how best to use them for specific tasks.
- They must understand the various methods used for evaluating oil and gas reserves, including but not limited to drilling, sampling, analysis, and interpretation.
- They must be capable of troubleshooting extraction processes . If something goes wrong during the extraction process, they can quickly identify the problem and take appropriate corrective action.
- They must be well-versed in safety protocols and have a deep understanding of how to protect themselves while working with various solvents and equipment.
How much does an extraction technician earn?
In general, an extraction technician earns around $3500-$7500 per month. While this may vary depending on the specific job requirements and experience of the individual. It is generally lower than salaries for positions in other industries. The average salary for an extraction technician is generally lower than salaries for positions in other industries. For example, if an industry is experiencing a decline in activity or companies are not investing in equipment or training new employees, wages may get an effect.